Altmünster Day 14


Saturday August 25th 0:02
This afternoon was one of the most fun I have had in a long time. We started by having free time (more ping-pong), and I spent the last few hours of camp with Crash, Lucas, Liam and Parker. Those four are the kids who I have become most close to over the course of this camp. Crash is a wild, spontaneous, and fun person all around. He is always happy and laughing and will defend anyone from insults or racism of any kind. He has actually inspired me to become a better person, because he will shoot down gossip and quell rumors any chance he gets. I don’t know even close to everything about Crash Ketcham, but what I do know is that he is literally a world-class dancer. The best I have ever seen. And he is also a Rotarian, Celloist, Honor Roll student, Spanish speaker, RASK participant, knitting expert, amazing photographer, aspiring marine biologist, newspaper editor/writer, pro at photoshop and entertainer. Those aren’t even half of the clubs and activities he did last year. Next, Lucas Utley is a kid from Little Rock Arkansas. He is an awesome juggler and swimmer and is an all around good kid. He swears little, is polite and kind and very funny. He is fun to be around, and always wants to go and do something exciting. I have spent the most time at camp with Crash and Lucas, and I have grown to know them decently well. Also, I began to hang out with Liam Halpin during the last part of camp. He is quiet when you first meet him, but once you get to know him he is one of the funniest people you will ever meet. He has a subtle and classy humor which only surfaces when he wants it too. He reads a lot and has the vocabulary of a writer. From the area around Utica, NY he has a completely different type of American culture that makes me even more curious about the East Coast. I have pretty much decided that my goal for college is to go to the East Coast (preferably Vermont). For some reason Vermont calls to me, kind of like how Austria did. Anyway, Parker Dickens is from Bountiful, UT. He always has something to say, and he is a good person to throw jokes around with. Although kind of literal, he is a funny kid. But, to return to the course of the day, after break we had a little more class time. We had our tests returned, and figured out what we need to work on to improve our German. At 5, right afterwards, we held a Talent Show in the dining area. A lot of kids performed, including Lucas with a juggling routine, and Crash with a top-notch dance. Also, Ricardo Sanchez (in my room), played some piano that really makes me want tostart back up again when I return home. Many others had acts as well. Dinner followed, then we were lucky enough to get to go to the choir kid’s (in the adjacent building) concert in the Altmünster church. To understate the performance, it was profound. I have never heard anything so beautiful and pure in my entire life. They sang a version of Ave Maria, with kids standing behind where I was sitting and it was one of the most overwhelming things I have ever heard in my entire life. Of course, church bells rang in the background and lighting struck right at the high note and I got intense chills from the moment. That moment is one that I know I will never forget. I have not cried since my departure, or even got close, but that performance made me tear up a little bit. Never before have I felt so inspired. Now I am writing in the school for the last time, and it is a little sad, but mostly I am remembering fondly the things that I have done here in Altmünster. 
Last day of class, Martina throwing candy to us
Super Dickmann's Chocolate... self explanatory I think
Crash's shock of camp ending
Talent show stage, teachers giving their final speech

Jesse, Lucas and Lauren before walking down to the church
Arriving at the Altmünster Kirche 
Bildunterschrift hinzufügen
Inside the Altmünster Kirche

What Europeans see the Wild Wild West as...
My room mates,  Crash (Washington, 18), Me (Montana, 16), Lucas (Arkansas, 16), Mark (California, 17), Parker (Utah, 17), Johnny (Oregon, 16), and Ricardo (Mexico, 17)

This entry was posted in

Leave a Reply