Swimming in Dornbirn

I got to explore Dornbirn some more today. After Agnes returned from work she, Beni, Jakob, Jakob's friend and I went to a pool in Dornbirn. It was in the forest and surrounded by trees. It was more of a water park than a pool. There was a water slide, low/high diving boards, a lap pool, a kids area, volleyball, ping pong, pool (the game), basketball as well as a restaurant. Beni's arm is still in a cast, so he couldnt swim. Jakob was with his friend so I checked out all the stuff by myself. I swam a few laps, went down the slide a couple times, jumped off the diving boards and laid in the sun. It was right next to a creek to, so there were a lot of options. The water was not chlorinated and was crystal clear. It was surreal being underwater because I could see from one end of the pool to the other without goggles. With my waterproof camera, you couldnt even tell I was under water. We spent a few hours there, then drove into the center of Dornbirn. The main street is full of shops, and there is a by foot only section for shopping as well. We parked in a parking garage then went up to the mall above. I bought some body wash at Bipa then we visited the Giga Sport store that took up the whole top level. My american clothing is pretty obvious, when I wear polos it is not terrible, but everything here fits tighter and shorter. So I visited a store (New Yorker ironically) and bought a couple more European shirts. After we finished in the mall we walked across the street to my new school, Bundesgymnasium Dornbirn. It was under construction so we couldn't go inside, but it is a very old and grand building. It is right in the middle if town, and is surrounded by malls and restaurants, which will be fun during the school year (starting in 2 weeks). Agnes treated us to dinner at a Turkish restaurant around the corner. I had a Döner, which is almost exactly the same as a Gyro and is really delicious. I have noticed a lot of Chinese and Turkish restaurants. The Turkish is explained by the many Turkish immigrants but I can't figure out why there are so many Chinese restaurants. Another observation I had is the lack of filtering on TV, radio and clothing. I have heard f*#k on the radio many times, seen it on at least 4 t-shirts and heard it on tv as well. Also, on public tv there is full on male nudity. I saw a little too much for one commercial, with 5 instances of full frontal naked guys. We returned home and chilled out. More ping pong, darts, and just talking, it was a really fun day all in all.

The water slide in Dornbirn

The lap pool

Under water in the lap pool, crystal clear water

Experimenting with my camera

It was a hot day, so Waldbad was busy

Upstairs in the shopping center


My school, BG Dornbirn

A Döner

Jakob trying to fill his Almdudler bottle with the rain

This entry was posted in

Leave a Reply